Sunday, June 14, 2009

mangelwurzel

try yodeling that




"impressive rutabaga" is the subject line of a several days ongoing e-mail with my realtor, about ongoing problems as I am preparing to move into my 20th home. Moving is stressful anyway; just ask, I oughta know.

Today, the subject line of the e-mail struck me as hilarious. Hmm, ah dunno, maybe it's a case of hysteria.

Did you know:
- Frank Zappa performed a slow yodel of the word rutabaga in his 1967 song "Call Any Vegetable".

which logically led to the facts of mangelwurzel

- it has a history in England of being used for sport (mangold hurling), animal fodder, and the brewing of a potent alcoholic beverage.

- in the book Middle Earth, it is a staple diet of the trolls.

- ok, I'm a voracious reader, and one of the few books I've deemed worthy to read more than once is Animal Farm. But I did not remember reading the word mangelwurzel, how could one not remember that? It appears in the fourth stanza of the ballad "Beasts of England."


see what will turnip, can't beet that




mangelwurzelmangelwurzelmangelwurzelyodelaaayeeeehoooooo


1 comment:

  1. "Call any vegetable and the chances are good that the vegetable will respond to you."

    ReplyDelete